This page provides links to articles, publications, podcasts and theses related to Aalto Online Learning, our pilots, and various online learning methods. Want to learn more? See the publications below.
Designing Digital Higher Education: Case Aalto Online Learning
In European Journal of Higher Education IT (EJHEIT), European University Information Systems (EUNIS), 2020. (accepted, to appear, in press). Our paper was awarded the EUNIS Dørup E-learning Award 2020 – [read more…]
Tomi Kauppinen, Yulia Guseva and Sara Gottshalk
Designing Games as Playable Concepts: Five Design Values for Tiny Embedded Educational Games
In Proceedings of DiGRA 2020 conference, the Digital Games Research Association, Tampere, Finland, June 2020.
Annakaisa Kultima, Christina Lassheikki, Solip Park and Tomi Kauppinen
Learning in the Era of Online Videos: How to Improve Teachers’ Competencies of Producing Educational Videos
In proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Higher Education Advances (HEAd’18), Valencia, Spain, June 20-22, 2018.
Yulia Guseva and Tomi Kauppinen
Around the world in 36 hours – understanding the dynamics of the global product design relay marathon
In Proceedings of 45th SEFI Annual Conference 2017 – Education Excellence For Sustainability, 2017.
Tiina Tuulos, Tomi Kauppinen, Lucas Rafael Ivorra Peñafort, Diana Isabel Riveros Ospina
Aalto Online Learning – a pathway to reforming education at the Aalto University
In Proceedings of EUNIS 23rd Annual Congress (EUNIS2017) – Shaping the Digital Future of Universities, pp. 212–221. Münster, Germany.
Tomi Kauppinen and Lauri Malmi
Supporting understanding of students’ learning via visual self-assessment
In Proceedings of EUNIS 2018 – Coming of Age in the Digital World, 2018.
Ville Kivimäki, Joonas Pesonen, Jani Romanoff, Heikki Remes and Tomi Kauppinen
Transforming the learning and educational culture at a university
In proceedings of the 46th SEFI Annual Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, September 17-21, 2018.
Lauri Malmi, Tomi Kauppinen, Kirsti Keltikangas, Päivi Kinnunen
We have actively produced, created or been involved in a number of podcasts, including the following ones:
Tomi on Information visualisation: the roles of stories, time, space and theme
Cloud Reachers Extra on Asynchronous vs. Synchronous learning with Tomi Kauppinen and Yulia Guseva
Cloud Reachers podcast Season 2, listen the 10 episodes via SoundCloud.
Cloud Reachers podcast full Season 1 with 10 episodes are released in Spotify, Apple Podcasts and SoundCloud.
Here also direct links to Cloud Reachers Season 1 episodes in SoundCloud:
- Cloud Reachers S01E01 on future of learning with hosts Miikka J. Lehtonen and Tomi Kauppinen
- Cloud Reachers S01E02 on accessible design with Laura Kalbag, hosted by Tomi Kauppinen
- Cloud Reachers S01E03 on games with Annakaisa Kultima, hosted by Miikka J. Lehtonen
- Cloud Reachers S01E04 on spatial thinking with Heather Burte, hosted by Tomi Kauppinen
- Cloud Reachers S01E05 on failed experiments in edtech and how to learn from them with Salu Ylirisku and Miikka J. Lehtonen, hosted by Tomi Kauppinen
- Cloud Reachers S01E06 on human computation & citizen sciencewith Irene Celino, hosted by Tomi Kauppinen
- Cloud Reachers S01E07 with Esteve Pannetier, hosted by Miikka J. Lehtonen
- Cloud Reachers S01E08 about Universities of Future with Laura Wirtavuori, hosted by Tomi Kauppinen
- Cloud Reachers S01E09 on educational video production with Yulia Guseva, hosted by Tomi Kauppinen
- Cloud Reachers S01E10 Season 1 finale with hosts Tomi Kauppinen and Miikka J. Lehtonen
Tomi Kauppinen has also been guest in the following podcasts:
- in The Versatalist podcast hosted by Patrick O’Shea (August 2020)
- in Sprint to Success with Design Thinking podcast hosted by Sabba N. Quidwai (January 2020)
- in Hej Framtid podcast hosted by Lena Gumaelius (April 2019)
Interviews about podcasts:
Raising awareness and involvement through communication media and marketing – case Aalto Online Learning
Melissa Linko, 2019