Overall, our plan is to produce learning materials for master’s thesis students at ELEC (to some extent ENG and CHEM) that can be easily shared in digital format: videos, guidelines, and interactive exercises. Some of these materials can be generic across different science and engineering disciplines at the Aalto University, such as the topics related to grammar and general language use.
In addition to content creation, we conduct thesis supervisor interviews to determine preferences of different departments on defining the aims and structure of theses. Documenting these preferences allows students to understand the range of options available for them to structure their own theses. This also allows students to better understand what are the expectations of an exemplary master’s thesis in engineering.
This project is a part of a long-term plan (2018-2020). Materials are developed gradually depending on the funding and resources available in the future.
Platforms and tools
- Camtasia (for video editing and screen casts)
- Panopto (video sharing and recording)
- MyCourses (learning management) + Quiz (exercises)
- A+ (learning management and content development)
- Acos server (interactive exercises for text analysis) For example contents, see draganddrop-english and pointandclick-english
- Astra exercise plugin in MyCourses (for embedding A+ and Acos content)
This project is focuses on online learning. The online materials can be used to complement blended learning courses.
LC-1320 – Thesis Writing for Engineers (MSc) (3 ECTS)
LC-1310 – Academic Communication for MSc Students (3 ECTS)
ELEC-E0903 – Producing a Scientific Publication P (5 ECTS)
LC-1110 – Online Writing Skills for Engineers 1 (w) (1 ECTS)
Supervision of Master’s thesis in English
Links & Materials
Collaborator at ELEC